Wednesday 22 January 2014

The House of Silk : A Sherlock Holmes Story by Anthony Horowitz


Reviewer : Gillian Hamer, author of The Charter

What we thought : I was half looking forward to this and half dreading that it wouldn't live up to my high expectations of one of my all-time favourite crime characters. But I have to say I was delighted with the tone, voice and content of the story. The author has done a wonderful job of recreating the world of Holmes and Watson, plus supplied an intricate, complex tale along the way that un-weaves at just the right pace to keep us engrossed. Unusually for me, I lost myself in the story and I hope Mr Horowitz is proud of his homage to Conan Doyle - and I also hope he can be persuade to write another. Excellent!
Only thing lacking for me. Mr Cumberbatch.

You’ll enjoy this if you like : Arthur Conan Doyle (there’s nothing else comparible).

Avoid if you don’t like : Clever folk who patronise you, Victorian London, Violins.
Ideal accompaniments : Elgar’s Fifth Symphony and Coke (?)

Genre : Crime

 

No comments:

Post a Comment